Thursday 29 January 2015

My Choice of Music Genre


Of all the typical genres out there, none really interested me to create a magazine cover that I felt could be both original, eye catching, and that I would enjoy creating and experimenting with.

I dislike Rap Music, R&B, Country Music and pretty much anything in the Charts so those were out of the question.

Pop and Modern Rock music were a consideration, although I didn't feel confident in being able to pull off a magazine cover to a professional standard as I know little about current rock music beyond bands like the Foo Fighters and I know next to nothing about pop music.

I decided that I should do something revolving around Electronic Music since that would suit my musical tastes and thus I would have a better knowledge of what to use for research and inspiration  because I know more sub-genres of Electronic Music such as Disco, House, Dubstep, EDM, as well as Electronic Artists like Giorgio Moroder, Daft Punk, Savant, Madeon, and other less heard of Artists.

However, I wasn't entirely clued up on fashion or culture relating to Electronic Music so I decided to go for something obvious that was easy to copy the Imagery, Iconogrpahy, and Mise-en-Scene associated with it.

I chose 'SynthWave'.

Also known as 'Retrowave' and 'Dreamwave' This is a postfuturistic, nostalgic take on the Electronic Synth and Wave music of the 1980s born from the growing popularity of computer-made music and the wild experimentation taken with them at the time. The genre also takes a great deal of inspiration from Video-Nasties / Action Movies and their hard hitting, cold, unearthly sounding Soundtracks  dating back to  somewhere around the late 1970s to late 1980s

Believed to have been originally formed in the late 2000s, gaining popularity in 2010, notably with the 2010 album 'Redline' by 'Lazerhawk' and many other Internet-Based Albums and EPs by amateur artists such as Mega Drive, Power Glove, Tommy Chase, Trevor Something, . The genre was finally used by a professional artist in 2013 with DJ Kavinsky's album 'Outrun'.

The genre is heavily associated with:

  • Neon lights,
  • Science fiction (eg. Blade Runner, Tron, Star Wars etc.)
  • Most forms of media, (namely Movies and Video Games)
  • Primitive Computer Vector Graphics such as those seen in vintage Video Game Systems such as the Vectrex,
  • Crime Drama, (eg. Scarface, Golgo 13, Batman etc.)
  • Fantasy Media such as Dungeons & Dragons, Conan the Barbarian, Labrynth and so on






sci fi


No comments:

Post a Comment